Tuesday, 4 August 2009

Work work work and screeching




Us at the St John's regatta. A misty coastline


Quidi Vidi Lake (in the sunshine!)
It's been 5 days since the last post, so thought it was time to check in again.

On friday we went to the George St festival, kinda lots of drunk people and some live music. We tried to get screeched in with our housemates, but we missed one by half an hour and the next wasn't for a while, so we shall have to do that another time. (its a 'ceremony' to become an honourary Newfoundlander, involving drinking the local screech rum, reciting the ode to newfoundland, screaming and kissing a cod ... )

We have both been working lots, it doesn't seem like we get much time off, but think its just that we have a lie in and that takes up half the day! Most of the shifts have been good, learning lots, though I really don't like the random shift times all over the place. I had a night on saturday with no resident, so it was just me and the attending and it was BUSY. But good, though I didn't sit for more than 5 minutes, as we had a guy in spinal shock following a c spine fracture, a PE, a guy in SVT , 4 rule out MI's etc. And there were only 4 nurses, so they were really short but did an absolutely fantastic job, having bloods drawn and IV's set up before we had even asked.

Yesterday I did a more sensible 10-5, on unit 2, so abdo pain and PV bleeding in pregnancy galore! Pretty standard shift, the attending was very good and did lots of teaching/quizzing. Today I did a 7am-3pm at st Clare's, started pretty slowly, then got busy. I had an alcoholic patient who had a fall, then decided to discharge himself against advice! We cardioverted a new onset AF, had a cardiac arrest AND an overdose pt in respiratory arrest. So it was all go, but interesting to see. So I am now 7 shifts done out of 18. Looking forward to the more normal 7/8-5/6 that I hope paeds ortho will be as my poor body clock is very confused. Particularly as we don't get breaks to eat really (1 shift out of 7 I have been told to go get lunch).

Rich had a day off yesterday, so he went to explore kiddy fiddly lake and will put some pics up in the next couple days. We have booked a whale and puffin watching tour for saturday, so we definitely do something on our weekend off! Tomorrow there is a big regatta (rowing), which seems to be a huge event in St John's - all the hospital admin staff get the day off and the lab is closed to bloods that are not inpatient/ED. So we are going to wander and have a look at that, think its another excuse for them all to get very drunk!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment