I am now 4 weeks postop already!
Pain - There hasn't been very much to report this week, I am attempting to cut down my painkillers now, which is having mixed sucess. I first started with dropping the nighttime tramadol, but that left me in a lot of pain overnight, so decided to stick with my nighttime painkillers as they are for now. Today I have done without my daytime tramadol and used lower dose codeine instead. It has gone ok, although I am noticing I am in more pain, its manageable.
Swelling - this is definitely less than it has been. There is still some swelling around the trochanter area, but in general it is down, although slightly bigger in the evenings after walking in the day. I still have the red patches that appear on my thigh after I have been sitting for a while. I am surprised they haven't gone with the swelling, but not unduly concerned at the moment.
Movement - coming along nicely. I went out for the first time since physio yesterday and sat on a sofa with my booster cushion to stop me flexing near 90 degrees. It was lovely to be out and about and see friends, but was very stiff afterwards and took a while to straighten it out and walk. The same happened again today when I went for coffee with friends. I'm sure that will lessen with the coming weeks. I only have two weeks before I go back to uni, so I am trying to go out everyday for the next few weeks and build up my sitting and walking tolerances ready.
2 more weeks until my follow up xrays and appointment and hopefully weight bearing time!
xxx
FAI News
9 years ago
Hey well done Sam, that all sounds v positive.. and just so you don't expect too much of yourself going back to Uni, I would've really struggled to go back to work at 6 weeks and I only had arthroscopy.
ReplyDeleteSam, please don't push yourself too hard to get back to Uni. I know you are one determined cookie, and understand your situation, but don't put yourself back by doing too much.
ReplyDeleteHugs for the New Year,
Kate xxx
Uni in 2 weeks! OMG!!! I couldn't face that with all my determination! Good luck sweetie, i know your as hard as nails and if all goes well you'll rock it. I wish i could of gone down to one crutch as i'm getting so sick of bloody crutches everywhere.
ReplyDeleteI didn't have as much swelling as i did with Z-plasty and IT band release a few years ago on the right. Hope your red patches disappear soon though.
I tried to ditch nite time doses but i've found i need the night ones and first thing in the morning ones most then i'm ok during the day, especially with using hotwater bottles etc..
Unfortunately ladies, I have to go back, provided all is ok with my xrays on the 14th. I don't want to have to repeat the year. I am however going to take it as easy as possible, my jobs will be ward rounds, clerking in new patients and taking bloods, which I can take fairly slowly. If I need to hobble home (its 5 mins to the accomodation) I will and just do half days - maybe just not telling the med school! xx
ReplyDeleteSorry Sam- we are all Mums and its our job to worry ,lol, so you will just have to put up with us ,as well as your own mum, worrying about you too!
ReplyDeleteKate xx
Hehe, you don't have to be sorry at all, I much appreciate my hip ladies looking after me xx
ReplyDelete