Wednesday, 23 December 2009

3 weeks post op

So I am now 3 weeks postop. Where is the time going?

I went to physio today which I have to say was a complete waste of time. I had to explain what both my operations were, all my restrictions and what I was already doing. All she did was repeat the flexion and abduction exercises I have to do anyway, and said that she can't add anything anyway so there was no point me seeing her, as I am doing 3 lots of them a day anyway so her doing 1 set once a week isnt going to add anything much! But at least I got out of the house for a bit and didn't manage to fall over on the ice thankfully, though I got driven right up to the entrance and picked up again.

Pain - still the same as last week, a constant background deep ache in my groin and trochanter area, still taking two long acting tramadol 100mg each a day and 8 paracetamols too. I then have 30-60mg codeine on top as required if the pain is intolerable. I find I need one set of paras in the middle of the night/early morning to help as I get very stiff staying in one position. I have crutched about 30-40metres at the most now, and find it fairly uncomfortable, mainly the swinging the leg through action rather than the touch toe weight bearing.

Swelling - I think the swelling is down a tiny bit today, as my left thigh wasn't overlapping my right when I lay on my side overnight lol. But by each evening it swells up again anyway. I am also getting the red patches still, but they do disappear so happy its not infection, and must just be the fluid in my thigh. Hopefully as the swelling goes down, it will go as well.

I gave myself my last fragmin injection last night, so will make sure I move lots from now on to prevent any DVTs.

Movement - this is fairly good. I find lying flat gives a real "ouch" initially, then it settles if I persist. It does it good to have a big stretch across the front anyway. I tried lying on my front (being rolled by someone) yesterday after getting permission from the secretary. It was pretty damn sore, so I only managed 15 minutes, but intend to do it a bit more each day as again its good for all the muscles and to stop the scar tissue causing problems later on.

General - feeling very tired still, but thats probably because I am still awake at least 4 times a night to change position or be rolled onto my side. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks this will improve a bit and I will be more comfortable. I am going to start doing some uni work in the next couple days now I have some more energy.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have as hip pain free time as possible and enjoy the coming days
xxx

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Sam, sounds like you're in the thick of it at the mo!
    Best of luck thru Christmas. Beware crutches on the ice, I was slipping on rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great Christmas Sam- thanks for all your support this year.
    Hope the New Year brings a pain free year for us all,
    Hugs
    Kate xxx

    ReplyDelete