I haven't posted for a while as there was nothing to report. I was plodding along, with no real improvement at all, struggling to keep up with a 5 day week and pretty limited in what I could do. However, I did complete my 5 years at medical school and am now an officially qualified doctor - woohoo!
So I am now 8.5 months postop and I had a steroid injection 3 weeks ago before I started work in the hope that it might make it a bit easier to do long shifts. It did indeed work well for 2 of those weeks but is now wearing off. In fact, I realised it was working when I hadn't taken any painkillers all day - because for the first time in months and months, I didn't need too! It didn't give me a 100% pain free time, so we know that the remaining screw is causing some of the pain. I can feel it under my skin in my groin and its quite tender over that area.
I saw my surgeon today who would like to remove the remaining screw, then through the same incision (rather than proper ones) he will do a scope to see if there is scar tissue or labral damage within the joint and debride as necessary. He will also trim some more of the acetabulum off to get a better shape as there is a bit that is still sticking out. It will be an overnight stay, but no crutches luckily.
Not looking forward to be in the bed once again, geting used to being at the side now! fingers crossed its the last surgery for a long time and I will be pain free afterwards. Hopefully it will be early september time, but no date as yet.
FAI News
9 years ago
Best of luck Sam! I hope this does the trick for you! Is it a remaining PAO screw or SDD screw? It's too bad it didn't come out the 1st time. Oh well. Will be thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteHey Sam I didn't realise you finally qualified, Well done you! And with all this hip stuff going on for you too!!
ReplyDelete