Sunday, 18 April 2010

oozy wound and antibiotics - not for the squeamish!

For some reason, the more minor the op I have, the more problems it has with healing! The strange black 1cm section of my lateral wound (where the trochanteric screws were removed from) popped open on friday ngiht. I had noticed during the day that it seemed to be bulging a bit, but put that down to me standing in theatre all morning and it was getting pretty sore. Serous, yellow blood stained fluid started to dribble out, so I dressed it and left it, hoping it would stop. Unfortunately it filled up the dressing overnight and was still flowing the next morning. I gave it a bit of a squeeze, thinking that if I could get most of the pocket of fluid out, then there is less risk of an infection developping. I actually managed to squirt it all over Rich instead! haha, he wasn't too impressed.

I rang the lovely nurses at the Duchy for advice, as if I was nearby I would just pop in and get them to check it. They said I needed to go get it looked at, so cue a phone call to devon docs. I actually worked with the GP who was on call (how embarrassing) and he just gave me a script for flucloxacillin and penicillin V to cover any infection, and left some steri strips for me to collect and close the hole with. He didn't want to see it, but has advised me to go back if it gets red or more wound opens up and I will be sent to the orthopods for review (as its so close to bone and potentially disasterous should any infection get in there).

I thought it was slowing down yesterday evening, after another dressing change, but overnight I have oozed out over all the bedding... yuck. So who knows how much more is in there!! Keeping a close eye for any pus or infection symptoms and just hoping it will stop soon. It also means that I can't now do hydro on monday, so will ahve to postpone that for a week or two.

On the plus side, its a beautiful weekend so we are going to have a bbq on the beach for lunch xx

2 comments:

  1. You've gotta have some consideration for us squeemish readers you know! THUD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol sorry - way to used to yucky stuff to even notice now - should remember not everyone is a medic!

    ReplyDelete