Thursday, 4 March 2010

13 weeks post-op - hydro, screw removal

I am now just over 13 weeks post-op, perhaps this will start to be counted in months rather than weeks soon!

I saw Mr F today, as my appointment got moved forward because I am struggling. I had xrays which look really good - phew! He thinks the pain is mainly because I had two major operations in one go and there will be lots of scar tissue formation and inflammation around the area. The trochanteric screws might also be contributing to the lateral pain I have too, so he will be removing those in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, just have to accept it is going to take time to heal and recover, particularly when I am pushing my hip to stand for 7 hour days and do a lot more than it should be at this stage post=op.

I have now had 3 hydro sessions and my flexion isn't improving, but Mr F is not worried about that and thinks the scar tissue/anterior inflammation might be hindering it. It should come in time! I have been slowly increasing my hours on the wards, making sure I do spend time sitting down and not standing still too much (as this seems the worst for pain). Although I am definitely paying for the longer hours in the evenings.

I took off my last fentanyl patch last friday and have gone down to the lower dose tramadol twice daily (long acting), which is much better as I don't feel quite so tired all the time. I am going to try and cut it out over the next couple of weeks, as I ideally want to be on just paracetmol and arcoxia or ibuprofen asap. I am still using one crutch in the hospital and out of the house, I am limping around the house without one. I just don't think my hip could take a 3-4 hour ward round without any support at the moment, as it gets sore enough with one!

Fingers crossed the screws out and steroid injection at the same time gets recovery moving a bit faster in the right direction.

4 comments:

  1. Hope the screw removal and steroid helps X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the xrays look good, that must have put your mind at rest. Don't you just hate it when they say it takes time, as much as you know that it dosn't help when you don't feel as if things are improving.You sound as if you are doing more and more though and if you are cutting back on the meds then things are improving, even if it doesn't feel like it.
    Hope the screw removal and steroid calms things down,
    Hugs
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! lol! Please, please let me know how the screw removal and joint injection work out for you as I may be traveling down that same path soon. I just don't want to rush into it without really thinking my options through yet. I'm sorry we have to go through this, but then again, it's nice to be able to compare notes and not feel so alone. Hang in there and I hope it is what will help you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies,

    Louisa - how are the bum exercises working out for you? I think I might give some a go as my hamstrings and glutes are very weak - I can't$ even do a single clam yet lol!

    Kate - it is very annoying to be told it takes time - I know that lol, being told it just frustrates me more! Though I think its the debridement that seems to cause me more probs, as after my first PAO I was much better than this at this point, whereas I was roughly the same after my last debridement (as my bf keeps reminding me). grrr, I am also officially 1 year post open debridement on the right now (and still have residual pain most days, but perhaps thats life for me, we shall see once I come off all painkillers... whenever that is!)

    Marcie - I will def let you know. Last time, the screw removal worked well (after a few weeks, because I was stupid and overdid it the day after and caused a secondary haemorrhage/opened my internal sutures etc, so that led me back to crutches for a few weeks). I can cope at the mo with the discomfort on the right hip, I certainly don't want any more surgery there and would need an MRI or MRA demonstrating scar tissue which could be removed/separated before I would even consider going near doing it. Sounds like you are doing fab at work though and really progressing in that respect - woohoo!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete