On Saturday we walked downtown (about 40 mins over hills) and had a look around, its very strange here because there is no "centre" of town like in all UK cities. Instead people shop at malls which are on the outskirts and therefore there are only posh boutique style shops in town and lots of coffee shops. It's a nice city, though small - 180,000 people in lots of colourful wooden houses - I think they got the dulux colour palette and went a bit wild ... will try to upload photos soon.
Today we had a lie in woohoo, then went to Cora's for brunch, que a big crepe fat filled with raspberries and nutella. We have learnt several things about Canada so far - everything is supersized - Big cars, Big portions and BIG people, in fact NL has the largest number of obese people in the whole of Canada, so chest pain will be the order of the day in the ED me thinks.
I still appear to be as fascinating here as I was in the far east ... I'm not that pale!
Also, we think some very strange bloke found NL (probably a gynaecologist), as they seem to have the dodgiest names for places - DIldo, Placentia bay, Conception bay, Pippy Park and Quidi Vidi lake (pronounced so it sounds like kiddy fiddly ... ) ....
xxx
Rich's view (a bit like in the "real live story" from love it)
Blogs are gay, however, as im not the manliest man in britain (or indeed in canada) and more importantly sam is making me write something, I shall be adding my own 2 cents to some of the bloggy things
St Johns is a bit like going to a cornwall, most of the ppl have two heads, but they are a friendly bunch so it doesnt seem to bother you too much. I recall having a cheery conversation with a till worker in the local supermarket, it went something like this:
rich: good day kind sir, i would like to purchase this six pack of lager beer if you dont mind
till worker: yooouh'v a tilloncaaard(?)
rich: pardon
till worker: yooooooooooouh'v A tillon caaaaaaard
rich:................ um....
fellow shopper in queue: ooooooo ay a got one!
rich:........i would like some beer pls?!
You see the ppl of newfoundland have a unique blend of accent encompassing irish, cornish and american, with a zing of french.... i think.... Which making conversing both interesting and challenging.
I cant wait for monday when we start taking histories!
Today we had a lie in woohoo, then went to Cora's for brunch, que a big crepe fat filled with raspberries and nutella. We have learnt several things about Canada so far - everything is supersized - Big cars, Big portions and BIG people, in fact NL has the largest number of obese people in the whole of Canada, so chest pain will be the order of the day in the ED me thinks.
I still appear to be as fascinating here as I was in the far east ... I'm not that pale!
Also, we think some very strange bloke found NL (probably a gynaecologist), as they seem to have the dodgiest names for places - DIldo, Placentia bay, Conception bay, Pippy Park and Quidi Vidi lake (pronounced so it sounds like kiddy fiddly ... ) ....
xxx
Rich's view (a bit like in the "real live story" from love it)
Blogs are gay, however, as im not the manliest man in britain (or indeed in canada) and more importantly sam is making me write something, I shall be adding my own 2 cents to some of the bloggy things
St Johns is a bit like going to a cornwall, most of the ppl have two heads, but they are a friendly bunch so it doesnt seem to bother you too much. I recall having a cheery conversation with a till worker in the local supermarket, it went something like this:
rich: good day kind sir, i would like to purchase this six pack of lager beer if you dont mind
till worker: yooouh'v a tilloncaaard(?)
rich: pardon
till worker: yooooooooooouh'v A tillon caaaaaaard
rich:................ um....
fellow shopper in queue: ooooooo ay a got one!
rich:........i would like some beer pls?!
You see the ppl of newfoundland have a unique blend of accent encompassing irish, cornish and american, with a zing of french.... i think.... Which making conversing both interesting and challenging.
I cant wait for monday when we start taking histories!
Hey Sam and Rich Ive finally worked out how to post a comment on here lol. hope its going well, and the weathers better than the other day! its still trying to rain over here for the last couple of days. Everything fine here ive finished placement now and am very bored im even considering tidying and cleaning out the dining room of all my uni stuff! Hope ur first shifts went ok? what are the hospitals like over there? And YES sam you really are THAT pale hehe hope hippy is behaving love to both keep in touch, and i hope u can see this lol xxxx ps it say comment as..... and i put google account so hope u get this xxx
ReplyDeletePS. I have taken over offically the best seat in the house :) xxx
ReplyDeleteHey Amy, lol, I think you can post a comment wihtout a name if you select the blank one right under the "please select" bit too. Get tidying your room lol, the dining room better be empty by the time I get back. Are you doing the car boot sale? Will try to skype in the next couple days xxx
ReplyDelete